New international employees must complete CU tax appointment

Specialists ready to help at required meeting
By Staff

U.S taxes can be complicated — especially for international employees who come to work for CU. That’s where CU’s international tax specialists come in.

If you’re new to the university — and a non-U.S. resident — one of your first stops should be your required appointment with CU’s international tax specialists. They’re here to help you learn and document your U.S. tax status, which you’ll need for determining how much money CU should deduct from your CU pay for tax purposes.

Unlike employees who are U.S. citizens, you can’t fill out Form W-4 — the form used to tell the U.S. Internal Revenue Service your tax-deduction preferences — until you’ve had this important meeting. Similarly, if you manage international employees, please direct them to CU’s international tax specialists for this purpose.

Here’s what you need to do:

  1. Schedule your international tax appointment online.
  2. Bring your passport, I-94 and immigration document (I-20, DS-2019, H1B approval; etc.)
  3. Come prepared to discuss your entire history of presence in the United States, including previous visits in different immigration statuses.

You do not need a Social Security number/card for these appointments.

For more information, check out Employee Services’ international employee Web page.