The windup of 2017 is near, bringing with it key changes and deadlines for all University of Colorado employees. To ensure they receive important documents such as the W-2 error-free and on time, employees should complete these tasks in the employee portal:
- Validate and update addresses. Employees should have a mailing and home address on file. Important tax documents are sent to the mailing address listed in the portal. To prevent delay in receiving forms, it is vital to verify or correct your addresses in the employee portal by Jan. 5.
- Verify Social Security number. Confirm the Social Security number on file is correct. Incorrect numbers will affect W-2s, potentially causing issues with the IRS.
- Check name. If an employee legally changed their name this year, they should verify that the name on the digital pay stub matches the one on their Social Security card.
4. Set a reminder for these dates:
- The IRS releases the 2018 version of the W-4 in mid-December.
- If an employee met the Social Security wage base in 2017, deductions will resume on Jan. 1.
- The deadline to update a mailing and home address in the employee portal is Jan. 5.
- W-2 forms will be mailed by Jan. 31 and posted in the portal shortly thereafter.
- If a person filed as tax exempt in 2017, they must submit the 2018 W-4 form or update their W-4 Tax information in the employee portal by Feb. 6.
Click here to view full instructions on completing these steps.
To learn more about important dates and to review 2018 tax rates and contribution limits, visit the Employee Services website.