Students from CU-Boulder’s Leeds School of Business are offering free tax preparation services to individuals under the Internal Revenue Service-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
Members of the public who make $53,000 or less are eligible for the service, now in its sixth year at the Leeds School.
The assistance is available on a walk-in basis through April 4 on Wednesdays from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Koelbel Business Building, room 375. The building is at 995 Regent Drive on the CU-Boulder campus, across from the Coors Events Center.
There are no appointments and the service is operated on a first-come, first-served basis. Because of limited staffing and a high volume of participants, early arrival is recommended. Participants who arrive late might be rescheduled for another day. Walk-in times are subject to change due to adverse weather.
Participating Leeds School students have passed an IRS certification exam. Community volunteers who are experienced in tax law will review all student-prepared tax returns to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Last year, Leeds School students prepared about 440 tax returns and obtained more than $532,000 in refunds for taxpayers. The students also placed an extra $160,000 into the local economy through Earned Income Tax Credits for families.
Eligible taxpayers should bring the following:
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Notices/Cards for the taxpayer, the taxpayer’s spouse, and dependents.
- Photo identification for the taxpayer and the taxpayer’s spouse if married and filing jointly. Both spouses must be present.
- All W-2 and 1099 forms and other income-related documents.
- Proof of mortgage interest, property taxes, daycare expenses (including provider’s tax ID number), college education expenses (e.g. 1098-T form) and all other deductible expenses.
- A copy of last year’s federal tax return.
- Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (e.g. voided check).
- Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN.
For more information about the accounting division at CU-Boulder’s Leeds School visit http://leeds.colorado.edu/accounting#overview. For more information about CU-Boulder's free tax preparation assistance call 303-492-0746 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.