It often is said that the highest praise comes from one's peers. That's exactly how the new CU Denver Faculty Recognition Awards are being determined.
Here are the honorees in the inaugural round of this program coordinated through the CU Denver Faculty Assembly:
- Paul Musso – College of Arts and Media, Music Department
- Carol Dee – Business School, Accounting Department
- Troyann Gentile – School of Education and Human Development, Counseling Program
- Bryan Wee – College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Geography Department
- Cathy Casper – College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, English Department
- Rich Argys – School of Education and Human Development, Literacy, Language and Culturally Responsive Teaching Program
- Nicole Plasecki – College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, English Department
- Dorothy Garrison Wade – School of Education and Human Development, Administrative Leadership & Policy Studies Program & Doctoral Program
- Michael Berry – College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Political Science Dept.
- L. Ann Martin – Business School, Accounting Department
- Carrie Makarewicz – College of Architecture and Planning, Master of Urban Regional Planning Program
Seeing a need, starting a tradition
"Various schools and colleges offer a major award at the end of each year recognizing faculty for long-term service that exceeds expectations," acknowledged CU Denver Faculty Assembly Chair Joanne Addison.
"But we know many faculty engage in short-term service that exceeds expectations on a regular basis. I initiated the Faculty Assembly Recognition Program to highlight the importance of these short-term service commitments and to recognize faculty throughout the year."
Each awardee receives a CU Denver leather folio, a letter of recognition from Provost Rod Nairn and Addison. Notice of the award also is sent to the dean and department heads or chair-- depending on each program organization.
All faculty (tenure, non-tenure, clinical track, lecturers, instructors) are eligible to be nominated and recognized – but can only receive one award per academic year. Recipients are selected by the CU Denver Faculty Assembly Executive Committee.
The Faculty Recognition Program is ongoing and nominations are accepted anytime. More information is online.
Word is getting out about this awards program. "Nominations continue to be submitted for activities as varied as organizing a major symposium, outreach to K-12 schools, and campus-based committee work significantly above and beyond usual expectations," Addison said. "We welcome nominations for a wide-range of service-related activities."