The Women’s Committee of the Faculty Council requests nominations for the 2014 Elizabeth D. Gee Memorial Lectureship Award. This award recognizes and honors an outstanding faculty member of the University of Colorado for efforts to advance women in academia, interdisciplinary scholarly contributions and distinguished teaching. Instituted in 1992, the award is named for Elizabeth Gee, a faculty member in the Health Sciences Center School of Nursing and the late wife of former CU President Gordon Gee.
The Gee Award is the only award in the CU system that specifically recognizes outstanding work on women’s issues and a concerted effort to advance women in the academy. It carries with it a $1,000 prize, and the recipient will have an opportunity to present his/her scholarly work at the 13th Annual CU Women Succeeding Faculty Professional Development Symposium, set for Feb. 27. Kathleen Bollard, Vice President for Academic Affairs, will be the keynote speaker.
Eligibility: Any full-time faculty member from any of the CU campuses may be nominated.
Criteria: The criteria for selecting recipients of the award are as follows:
- Record of advancing women in the academic community (please note that nominee should show evidence of advancing women beyond his/her own department);
- Significant and original scholarship and/or creative work;
- Record of research, teaching, and/or service that pushes the boundaries of disciplinary knowledge and makes connection between disciplines;
- Distinguished record in teaching excellence.
Nomination: To nominate a candidate, please submit the following:
- a nomination statement in letter form (please individually address each of the four criteria listed above in the letter),
- a two- to three-page abbreviated current curriculum vitae of the nominee,
- a one- to two-page personal statement from the nominee (please individually address each of the four criteria listed above in the statement), and
- Letters of support from the university community and the extended academic community. One letter from a student or advisee is optional.
Nomination packets should not exceed 20 pages. Only complete nomination packets sent in by the due date will be reviewed.
Nomination submission deadline is Oct. 31. Please submit the nominating packet as a single PDF file to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the nomination process, please contact Melinda Piket-May at Melinda.Piket-May@cu.edu. Preference will be given to nominees who have been with the University of Colorado at least five years.
Visit http://www.cu.edu/faculty-council/awards/elizabeth-d-gee-memorial-lectureship-award for a complete list of previous award winners.