There are countless honors that a faculty member may achieve, but there's nothing quite like being honored by colleagues. On Friday, Sept. 10, in North Classroom, Denver Campus faculty were recognized by more than 80 attendees and honored for their accomplishments.
"There are a lot of different ways to get recognized," Chancellor Jerry Wartgow told honorees and attendees, "but the fact that you are being recognized by your peers is the ultimate recognition."
Wartgow thanked all faculty for their commitment and dedication to education and the students, especially in tough budgetary times.
"In the five weeks I've been here, I've been tremendously impressed with the spirit and attitude I've seen with everyone I've met at UC Denver," Wartgow said. "It makes me very happy to be here. ... Thank you for choosing education as a career."
Honorees received their awards and will be featured on the Faculty Wall of Fame in North Classroom.
Award winners included:
- Provost's Award for Excellence in Practices Related to Non-Tenure-Track Faculty: Department of Psychology
- Excellence in Teaching: Assistant Professor Stephan Durham
- Excellence in Teaching: Sue Giullian
- Excellence in Research and Creative Work: Jan Mandel
- Excellence in Service: Leo Bruederle
- Excellence in Librarianship: Ignacio Ferrer-Vinent
- Thomas Jefferson Award: Stephen Hartnett
Each UC Denver school and college and the Auraria Library nominated a total of 29 faculty members for awards for Excellence in Teaching, Research and Creative Activities and Service. The Thomas Jefferson honoree and the inaugural provost's award were honored at the ceremony as well. Read the full story on the award winners.