Six finalists for the position of dean of the UCCS College of Letters, Arts and Sciences were announced Jan. 11 by Teri Switzer, dean of the Kraemer Family Library and search committee chair. The search aims to replace Tom Christensen, who announced in April 2011 his plan to return to the faculty in June.
Among the finalists is Rex Welshon, associate dean of the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, who presented his qualifications during a campus forum on Wednesday.
Welshon, associate dean since 2001, joined the UCCS faculty in 1992 as an assistant professor of philosophy and was promoted to associate professor in 2000 and professor in 2010. Before joining the UCCS faculty, he was an instructor and teaching assistant at Rhode Island College, Brown University, the University of Massachusetts, Boston, and Boston University. He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degree from Colorado State University and a Ph.D. from Brown University.
The other candidates are:
- Manuel Avalos, director of research partnerships and innovation, University of North Carolina, Wilmington.
- Peter Braza, professor of mathematics, College of Computing, Engineering and Construction, University of North Florida.
- Tammy Stone, professor of anthropology, University of Colorado Denver.
- Elizabeth Throop, visiting associate professor of anthropology and interim dean, Siebens School of Business, Buena Vista University.
- Kathleen Tiemann, interim dean, College of Arts and Sciences, University of North Dakota.
The dates of public presentations by candidates will be announced in Communique and by email to faculty and staff lists.