CU Advocacy Day, an annual opportunity for CU Advocates and guests to engage with state leaders at the Capitol, is set for 3-5 p.m. Jan. 30.
Presented by the CU Advocates program in the Office of the President, the event invites members of the program and guests to hear from higher education leaders, elected officials and CU experts. Attendees will be better prepared to promote the university's educational, research, public service and economic contributions. The program aims to raise awareness about the state’s funding outlook and to dispel commonly held myths about CU and public higher education.
Attendees are asked to register in advance.
The agenda for CU Advocacy Day, taking place in the Capitol’s Old Supreme Court Chambers on the second floor:
- 3 p.m.
- Welcome and purpose/objectives of CU Advocacy Day at the Capitol, Michele McKinney, assistant vice president advocacy and external relations, and Tanya Kelly-Bowry, vice president, CU Government Relations
- CU Advocate of the Year comments, Christina Beck
- 3:05 p.m. Importance of CU Advocates voices, CU pride, state funding and beyond, and the important work at the Capitol, Bruce Benson, President
- 3:15 p.m. Budget request for higher ed. Value of higher ed to a state’s economy. Public perception of public higher ed? Influence public perception. Gov. John Hickenlooper
- 3:25 p.m. Legislative Preview for CU, Tanya Kelly-Bowry
- 3:35 p.m. CU Myth Busters and Budget Update, Todd Saliman, CU vice president, budget and finance
UNIQUE CENTERS AT CU
- 3:50 p.m. National Mental Health Innovation Center: Matt Vogl, executive director, CU Anschutz Medical Campus
- 4:25 p.m. Center for Western Civilization, Thought and Policy: Robert Kaufman, fifth visiting scholar of conservative thought and policy, CU Boulder
- 4:45 p.m. Questions and closing
A special legislative reception follows from 5-7 p.m. providing an opportunity to speak and connect with elected officials. Reception registration is at capacity, but CU Advocacy Day attendees may register to be included on the waitlist.